Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Work Stinks!

I am a massage therapist. I work at a hotel and spa that is located five minutes from my home. It is very convenient. I don't love massage as a career, and it is not something I look forward to doing, but, it helps pay the bills. I NEED to work. Since I am part-time, I don't get maternity leave, so my plan was to try to work until I pop and then go back the week after. I don't know if I will be able to do this, it depends on my physical capabilities. Anyway, my husband and I need the money so badly right now, and can't afford for me to take time off.

Well, recently my work has been under new management. All of a sudden, what used to be the perfect part-time job for a mom, has turned hellish! Originally, we only had to come to work when there was an apppointment booked. If nothing books, we leave early, or come in late, it is wonderful. I was looking forward to coming home in between clients to be with my new baby. Unfortunately, that is all changing. Now, they are wanting their commission only employees to be at work for their entire shift, without hourly pay. They want us to go marketing around town in our down time.....WITHOUT PAY! This is ridiculous! I feel this is wrong in so many ways. I will not stand for it.

Now what do I do? I make a little money outside of that job, doing some side work, but not enough to pay my bills. I am so worried, because now I am going on 7 months pregnant, and desperately need to find a new place to work. I do not have a college degree, only a massage certification, so there is not much that I am qualified to do. Massage does however, allow me to work shorter hours with larger pay. In order to make what I make doing something else, I would have to work full-time.

I was really looking forward to having time to be with my baby. My dream is to be a stay-at-home mom, but I don't know if I will ever be able to do that. All of this is making me severely emotional. I really hate when things don't go according to plan! Argh.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: