Wednesday, October 8, 2008

All hail the natural birth!

I am keeping my fingers crossed. Let's keep praying that my delivery goes as quickly and easily as I am imagining it will. If I visualize it perfectly, maybe I can make it happen that way, right? Well, let's hope so.

I have much respect for women that make the choice to birth naturally, and stick to it in the moments where it feels like you are going to explode. There are some natural pain relief techniques that I am putting my hopes into, and I figure I should share them. In 4 months I will be able to test them, and let you know what worked for me and what didn't, that is if everything goes according to plan.

First of all, I highly recommend making a Birth Plan. I found a great template at justmommies.com , that will give you some guidance when coming up with one. I have an uncontrollable need for preparation.

I also suggest getting a book on herbal remedies for children. This will come in handy, and it takes away the need for doctors to gladly write out prescriptions for everything. The one that I purchased is called Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child by Janet Zand. It is an A-Z reference guide that is super easy to follow. You might find you have just what the doctor ordered right in your own kitchen!

Massage, massage, massage. As a massage therapist, I completely understand the benefits of a good massage. During labor though, will it really help me relax? Here is a massage oil combination that is supposed to aid me in relaxation and help me gain confidence during labor. Simply add a few drops of jasmine oil into a tablespoon of a base oil (I find almond is best, but any oil will do, even olive oil). Start sitting down with your partner and figuring out what massage techniques feel good. Hands and feet are great areas that stimulate relaxation, the low back, and shoulders and neck. Shoulders and neck are most easily accessed when you can sit on a chair facing backwards.

Acupressure is something else I might be trying for pain relief. These points include the ear lobe, the point in between the thumb and index finger, all along the spine on the lower back, and the end of the little toe. Apply direct pressure to these points with your thumb.

Herbal medicines can also be taken. There is a wonderful list of them in the book Natural Mothering by Nicky Wesson. This book will be my natural birth bible. It is an all natural solution to everything labor related, and then some.


I am ready for my Lamaze class! I can't wait!

I need all the help I can get.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: