Sunday, November 2, 2008

Maternity Leave: a myth?

As you might already know, I work as a massage therapist. Massage Therapy is a really tough career. Depending on the environment, it is hard to get respect as a person who chose massage as a career. In most cases, it ends up feeling like a minimum wage job. I am truly saddened by the way Massage Therapists are treated in the workplace. Sometimes it feels more like slave work. The companies want to jam as many people in for massages, without giving the therapist breaks, and sometimes even scheduled lunches/or dinners. Massage Therapists working in most spa/salon settings are required to work nights, weekends, holidays, and do not get sick days, insurance benefits, or maternity leave. When therapists call in sick, they are given much guff because the spa has people scheduled, and no therapist to work on them. So, don' get sick....but trap yourself in a small room with strangers and rub their naked bodies over and over and see how often you get sick??!!

In massage school, we were told that it is not recommended to work full-time. This is because it can cause severe overuse problems with your body. Many therapists are forced to stop working due to things like thumb injuries. It is told to us that if you work full-time, your career might not last very long. So, most therapists are part-time. Because of this, many are not offered the benefits of full-time workers. It is sad. I don't know how to handle this. I keep up my license by attending classes and paying for my license renewals, which adds up to be pretty expensive....and I don't even get maternity leave?? What kind of career is this? I rely on my part-time job, IT IS MY CAREER! Now, I am praying that I will be able to work up until I have the baby and go back a week after she's born!! This is ridiculous. I am saddened and outraged that I thought I would be getting into this rewarding career, only to find out that I am just a slave. I bet people working at Mc Donalds get treated better than we do.

I do not know how I will be able to pay my bills if I can't continue working when I have my baby. It will cause my family to go into temporary poverty. If anyone out there is thinking of becoming a massage therapist, I highly DO NOT recommend it. I tell everyone I know that it is an awful career. Actually, I don't even think it can be called a "career" at all.

Note that not every massage therapist has it rough. There are some very successful massage therapists out there, but it is very difficult to find a good place to work, and also very difficult to start your own practice in an economy like this. Good Luck out there fellow therapists!

Also note that there are many other working women not receiving maternity leave. This is a major issue. I read on momsrising.org, that 51% of new moms do not receive maternity leave. Is there anything we can do about this?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Sandi said...

that seems illegal to me. I can't imagine not being allowed maternity leave. They are even offering it to fathers these days. I am sorry this is happening to you. It can't be easy. I hope you figure something out. I couldn't imagine not being able to stay home with my baby, even if for a few months.

amelia bedelia said...

I hate to hear that you unhappy with your job. The few times I have recieved a massage...i loved it! and felt like I really needed to tip them well. I hope things work out for you and your upcoming baby!